Day home sex assault suspect cleared of charge

The Crown has dropped allegations a city man sexually assaulted a young child in the day home run by his wife.

Crown prosecutor Darren Maloney told provincial court Judge Josh Hawkes on Monday he would not be proceeding with a two-day trial against Jason David Mitchell.

"The Crown is directing a stay of proceedings," Maloney said.

A stay means the prosecution could revive the charge within the next 12 months, but that rarely occurs.

Outside court, Maloney said the decision to stay the allegation against Mitchell was not based on the potential weakness of the case.

"The Crown is not staying it because of the veracity of the charge," he said.

Defence counsel Rick Meunz declined comment.

Mitchell, 48, was freed on bail not long after he was charged in May 2016.

Among the conditions of his release was that he post $500 cash and have no unsupervised contact with children.

Mitchell was charged with sexual assault, sexual interference and invitation to sexual touching.

Police said at the time the incidents allegedly took place between September 2013 and May 2016, when the child attended Little Footprints Dayhome in the community of Royal Oak.

The allegation was reported to police in early May 2016, after the young child told parents they had been kissed and asked to inappropriately touch a man who lives and works at the day home.

Police believed up to 10 children were attending the day home but neither the accused nor the day home operator were providing details of past or present clients.