Life After Conviction: Record Suspension (Pardons) And U.S. Waivers

Ending a prison sentence, or avoiding one in the first place with a plea that involves conditional sentencing or alternative measures, is of course a very positive thing. Life outside of prison is obviously better than life in prison.

But it's not as simple as that.

Any conviction will affect your life long after the trial. It may affect your ability to get a job, be trusted to volunteer, be around children or travel. It may affect areas of your life you may not even be able to anticipate.

However, for most people, a conviction is not supposed to be a life sentence.

Whether you have one conviction or several, whether it's for a minor or major charge, once a certain amount of time has gone by, our justice system says that your punishment should be over.

The Pardon Group will help you make sure that's true.

Record Suspensions And U.S. Waivers

The Pardon Group works in association with Muenz Law Office. We have helped hundreds of people leave behind the stigma and obstacles posed by their criminal records. Our main services involve:

  • Record suspensions: Formerly known as a pardon, a record suspension seals your record from the public. This can be invaluable for many purposes, including getting a job and volunteering.
  • U.S. waivers: In order to be allowed into the United States when you have a conviction, you must get a waiver. Otherwise you risk being turned back if your conviction is discovered at the border.

We also answer a number of questions from clients unsure about how the law applies to them, such as:

  • When will I be eligible for a record suspension for this charge?
  • Do I need a lawyer to represent me when getting a record suspension?
  • If I get a record suspension, do I have to tell a potential employer that I once had a conviction?
  • What if I'm on the sex offender registry? Will that affect my chances for a record suspension?
  • If my crime was minor shoplifting, should I tell the American authorities before trying to cross the border?
  • If I told the American authorities about my conviction a few years ago, but have since been pardoned, do I still have to get a waiver?
  • What if I'm travelling to another country and have a conviction on my record? Do I need a waiver?

Contact Muenz Law Office

For information about record suspensions and travel waivers, contact our Calgary office at 587-316-1499 or fill out our online form.

At The Pardon Group, we speak English, Spanish and Italian.