Sexual Assault Lawyer in Calgary, AB
Sexual Offences, Assault, and Sex Crime Defences
The consequences of pleading guilty or being found guilty of sexual assault go beyond a criminal record. It may include:
- Incarceration (jail)
- Being flagged for 20 years or more on the Sex Offender Registry
- The loss of your job
- Difficulty getting custody of or access to your children
- Restrictions on travel and career opportunities
- If you are not a Canadian citizen, your residency in Canada may be in jeopardy
- Your ability to apply for citizenship may be affected
- Your ability to sponsor family members to come to Canada may also be impacted
At Muenz Criminal Law, our team of Calgary criminal defence lawyers provides solid legal representation and support for individuals facing the trauma of being accused of sexual assault.
Have Your Legal Questions Answered
My name is Rick Muenz, a local criminal defence lawyer based in Calgary, Alberta. Throughout my years of providing my expertise and legal counsel to the local community, I’ve gained valuable insight and experience in the local judicial system. I can help answer urgent questions that come up during sexual offence cases, such as:
- Am I going to jail?
- Will I have to register as a sex offender?
- What will happen to my family and my reputation?
- Will I have to tell my employer or my professional association?
- When can I tell my side of the story?
Building Your Defence
In order to answer your most pressing questions, I will discuss a number of topics with you, including:
- The evidence against you: Your case may depend largely on evidence from witnesses, electronic sources, or from your own statements. Together, we’ll talk about how this evidence may be used against you and how it can affect your case
- Aggravating factors: These include the use of weapons during the charged event, the presence of a victim who is a minor, and/or the evidence of sustained bodily harm. If you were in a position of trust (for example, as the plaintiff’s teacher, doctor, or nursing home attendant), your situation is also considered more serious in court
- Possibilities if pleading guilty: There may be ways to minimize your sentence if you plead guilty. These may include counselling or other options
*If you are required to enter the Sex Offender Registry, additional consequences include restrictions on your movements, even within the country.
A Calgary Sexual Assault Lawyer Providing Experienced Sexual Offence Litigation
At Muenz Criminal Defence Law Firm, our team of Calgary criminal defence lawyers understand how much your world can change with even just an accusation of sexual assault. Regardless of the circumstances, the Crown will be working relentlessly to compile evidence that may not show you in a favourable light. By retaining my expert legal services, you not only do what is necessary to protect your rights and freedoms, but you also supply yourself with the proper resources you need to make a well-informed decision regarding your case and how you should proceed through the legal process.
A sexual assault or offence allegation is nothing to be scoffed at, as the mere implication may have long-lasting consequences on your life even if you are found not guilty.
Different Types of Sexual Offences
While the Crown may take allegations of sexual abuse or assault extremely seriously, crimes such as sexual harassment, possession of child pornography, and/or solicitation of minors over the internet are also considered serious sex crimes.
When it comes to your sexual offence charge, it is important to understand the circumstances behind the allegations. Sexual offences can come in many different forms such as
- Marital rape
- Sexual contact with minors
- Sexual intercourse with another individual against their will or consent
- Forcible sodomy, object penetration, and/or physical assault
- Unwarranted or coerced physical contact of a sexual nature
No matter the offence, you always have the option to challenge your charges. If you require the counsel of an experienced sexual assault lawyer who has helped hundreds of clients get their charges renegotiated, please get in contact with my firm today.
Recent successful cases
This client was a respected martial arts instructor who was accused by two of his students to have sexually assaulted them. Because the client was their instructor, it was an uphill battle. Nevertheless, we were able to negotiate a resolution with the prosecutor outside of court. The client was able to avoid trial altogether by pleading to the much less serious charge of common assault. He avoided time in prison and being on the sex offender registry, which would have ended his career.
OUTCOME: Acquitted at trial.
Cases Involving Child and Youth Complainants
Allegations by an adolescent neighbour saw this client face serious sexual assault and sexual exploitation charges. Fortunately, we were contacted by the client before he was charges so we were able to provide critical legal advice in the crucial pre-charge phase. As a result, the client knew exactly what to tell the police officers and, more importantly, what not to tell the police officers. While the client was subsequently charged, our persuasive negotiations with the Crown Prosecutor assigned to the file helped immensely. Ultimately, the client avoided a conviction on both charges. In fact, the judge was persuaded to grant a conditional discharge to a guilty plea of simple assault, meaning the client avoided going to trial and a criminal record altogether.
OUTCOME: Found Not Guilty at trial.
BILINGUAL SERVICES AVAILABLE:
OUR FIRM'S STAFF CAN TRANSLATE AND EXPLAIN THE LEGAL PROCESS TO YOU IN SPANISH AND ITALIAN.
Frequently Asked Questions
We have helped challenge hundreds of sexual assault allegations and have found favourable resolutions for our clients’ cases that span from having their charges withdrawn at trial, acquitted, dropped, and more. If you require the services of an experienced and knowledgable sexual assault lawyer, book a consultation with my law firm today.
Depending on the crime, a sexual assault offender may face between 18 months to 10 years in prison.
Book a consultation with me today to learn more about what steps you can take to safeguard your future following your sexual assault charge.
No matter your criminal history or if this was your first offence, if you are convicted of a sexual assault against an individual sixteen years or older in the Calgary region, you may face at least a year in prison.
Retaining a criminal defence lawyer for your sexual offence charges can help put these allegations behind you as thoroughly as possible without any repercussions on your future.
The Sexual Offender’s Information Registry, or SOIRA, is a sex offender database created by the Government of Canada. All individuals found guilty of certain sex-related offences are required to have their personal information registered and disclosed to the police. This national database is not available to the public and a registered offender’s information is updated every year for a set period determined by the nature and number of their offences.
Listed offences that require SOIRA registration include, but are not limited to:
- Indecent exposure
- Sexual assault, exploitation, or interference
- Possession, creation, or distribution of child pornography
- And more