Mr. Scholten is an independent defence lawyer operating his own law firm, Scholten Criminal Defence, in association with Muenz Criminal Law. In the spirit of cooperation and to provide the best possible legal representation for their clients, Mr. Scholten and Mr. Muenz frequently consult each other. By sharing their insight and experience working in the criminal justice system, their clients receive exceptional legal advice and representation.
Mr. Scholten is a passionate advocate for his clients and he prides himself on prioritizing quality over quantity in his practice. Whether inside or outside of the courtroom, he is dedicated to his clients and achieving the best possible outcome.
More than anything, Mr. Scholten understands that facing a criminal charge or an immediate roadside sanction can be an extremely stressful experience. He will take delicate care of your legal matters and ensure that you have the best possible legal representation.
During law school, Mr. Scholten frequently assisted clients with all sorts of legal challenges as a volunteer with Student Legal Assistance. Mr. Scholten also competed internationally in the esteemed Jessup International Law Moot, the world’s largest moot court competition.
As a Dutch-Canadian, Mr. Scholten is also mindful of the additional consequences immigrants may face if convicted of a criminal offence. He is also mindful of Indigenous peoples’ history and experiences in Canada, as well of the unique experiences of each of our country’s many diverse communities. Mr. Scholten is dedicated to having an informed legal practice that respects each of his client’s unique backgrounds.
Mr. Scholten graduated from the University of Calgary Faculty of Law, and, before that, he graduated with honours from Mount Royal University with a Bachelor of Arts degree.
Mr. Scholten has advocated for clients by:
- Running Criminal Trials
- Negotiating Early Case Resolutions
- Diverting to alternative measures
- Appealing Immediate Roadside Sanctions
- Combatting traffic tickets
Areas of Service
Mr. Scholten has appeared in the following courts:
- Provincial Court
- Youth and Family Court
- Court of Queen’s Bench
- SafeRoads Administrative Body
- University of Calgary, Faculty of Law, Calgary, Alberta, Canada – Juris Doctor
- Mount Royal University, Anthropology Department, Calgary, Alberta, Canada – Bachelor of Arts with Honours
Honours and Awards
- Best Written Submissions Award, Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot, National Division, 2021
- Best Respondent Submissions Award, Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot, National Division, 2021
- 5th Place Team Finish, Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot, National Division, 2020
- Honours in Anthropology, Mount Royal University, 2016
- Caseworker, Student Legal Assistance, University of Calgary, the Faculty of Law, 2018 – 2021
- Resource Manager and Secretary, Student Legal Assistance, University of Calgary, the Faculty of Law, 2019 – 2020
- Volunteer, Indigenous Youth Outreach Project, Pro-Bono Students Canada, 2018 – 2019
- President, Treaty People Student Society, Mount Royal University, 2015 – 2016
- Instructor, LSAT Prep Course for Low Income Students, University of Calgary, Faculty of Law, 2019
- Research Assistant, Private International Law of Small Modular Reactors, University of Calgary, Faculty of Law, 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Alberta, member
- Criminal Defence Lawyers Association, member